Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Chapter Eight:The Baby

FOOTNOTES ARE NOT NECESSARY TO READ THOUGH THEY ARE FILLED WITH HELPFUL, INTERESTING INFORMATION. PLEASE DO NOT FEEL OBLIGATED TO READ THEM, BUT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE BACKGROUND INFORMATION ABOUT THE CHARACTERS INVOLVED, I WOULD RECOMMEND READING IT. THANK YOU FOR READING.

*Okay guys, I wrote this when I was sick, so I’m sorry if there are any mistakes or confusion. Please PM or email me if there is anything that does not make since, or anything you are confused about. Every once in a while, there will be these types of chapters, where the narrator is in third person POV. I do this in case I need to show something in another person’s POV that is not the two main characters (Tegan and Jack,) or in case the POV’s need to be changed around a bit to get the full story without starting a whole new chapter. A few chapters ago, Jack had ordered Gwen to look through everyone who bought a one-way ticket to Cardiff and cross-referencing it with the new residents in Cardiff near the Rift, to see who would be victims of the Rift and who wouldn’t. And, of course, Tegan was on that list, as she had just moved to Cardiff for her sister’s funeral. This was a few days, if not weeks ago, and so Gwen does not exactly remember where she had seen Tegan before. I wanted to give the story some dramatic irony, and thought it might create some suspension in the audience. Did I? (review?) The grammar in this chapter is hopefully a little more European than usual, as, of course, Gwen is born and raised Euro and will always have European grammar. Tell me if I need to change anything to make it closer to home, as I am not European. And yes, Gwen did go into labor. Yayz! In the second-to-last chapter, Jack tells Rhys about the labor, and he is in emotional pain because he remembers the day his daughter was born. In the Children of The Earth, I imagine Jack’s daughter dying. (I’m not sure, of course, because I haven’t watched episode four or five yet, this is just a guess. The topic of his daughter’s death will come up in later chapters.

(I’m sorry that this chapter is so short, It’ll be longer next time.)

**Read previous Chapter’s footnotes.

***Future chapters reference.

The Baby (ch.8)

Three days it has been since Jack had seen that woman, and she was the farthest thing from his mind.* In Gwen’s mind, however, the topic was rather attended to.

Gwen had searched day and night for where she had seen that woman’s face before, with no result. Three days that woman, so strong and determined as to resist the power of the dub’s defense systems, had plagued Gwen’s mind, and three days Gwen had been squealing in frustrations. Where had she seen her before?!?!?* And why was it so important to remember?!?! Gwen sighed and stroked the bridge of her nose, shutting her eyes tightly and wishing desperately for a drink. Rubbing her belly, she wadded to the kitchen to fix herself a cup of orange juice.

Pouring a glass, Gwen suddenly dropped the carton and screamed, clutching her swollen stomach and tears brimming her eyes. With a voice of pure venom, she shouted to Jack, ‘The baby’s coming! Get your bloody arsehole* in here now and take me to the damned hospital!!!!!!!!’*

Jack came running in with a look between joy and fear, and carried Gwen out of the hub and towards his car, rushing to the hospital as fast as he could, even going as far as putting a torchwood authority siren on the roof. Once there, Jack ran into the lobby, screaming at nurses and doctors of the like to come help. Once Gwen was safely in the ER, he phoned Rhys and told the joyful, anticipating father-to-be the great news, his own heart jolting painfully at the memories resurfacing.* ***

In the emergency room, Gwen gently jolted in remembrance,*** screaming out ‘The new residents!’* The nurses and Doctors simply turned away, not knowing what she meant nor really caring what she meant, and the matter was soon forgotten as Gwen was swept into another wave of agonizing pain…

No comments:

Post a Comment